Search This Blog

Friday, July 16, 2010

Tea Party vs. NAACP

As the battle rages on between the Tea Party Movement and the NAACP I can't help but get a visual of an old white guy and an old black guy arguing on a porch about who the best baseball player was: Robinson or Ruth. The NAACP is accusing the Tea Party Movement of supporting a racist atmosphere and not denouncing the racist signage and language heard at rallies around the country. Meanwhile the Tea Party stands by it's mission statement of being about loving their country and changing the direction the country is going. It's basically a finger pointing shouting match that, I'm sure, will have no real resolution for either organization.

It's no secret that I have some issues with both the Tea Party Movement and the NAACP but I'm actually glad that they're having this very public discourse. When I hear comments asking how this could happen during an Obama administration that was supposed to advance race relations I think to myself that it's happening BECAUSE Obama is in office. Progress and evolution isn't always pretty. Just look at the platypus.

No comments:

Post a Comment